Wednesday, December 5, 2012

backyard wind generator - Wind Energy Systems 3 Phase Volt Meters & Alternator DC Output Volt and Amp Meters




I simply grew tired of cranking up the old gas generator each time we lost power during winter outages. I wanted to do something different, simple, easy to maintain... something low cost and I could handle by myself. And now, five years into retirement, I have this 100-foot-tall monster standing in my backyard. I started researching the idea of building a wind turbine on the Internet and gathered as much information as I could. It was a very time consuming effort constructing the lattice tower, I had to learn to weld, and use a cutting torch. The tower is constructed from steel tubing (top rails of chain-link fence). It's important where to locate the tower if you're lucky enough to have large trees. I used the oak trees in my back yard, a 6 ton pulley, 5/16 steel cable system. I raise the tower using a second pulley connected at two different stress points along the tower with a 12 Volt, 12000 lb winch. An oak tree acts as a "gin pole" to raise the turbine, other trees help support the main tree (you can pull one over, trust me). I can push a button and raise and lower this homemade renewable energy system. Anyone handy with tools and that has patience to learn can create a similar device, even if at a lesser height or capacity than this project. It's just a simple homemade alternator, six stud trailer wheel hub with two bearings. With 32 rotating rare earth magnets next to a 12 coil three phase fixed stator. Wound by hand with two strands of #14 copper, there's really <b>...</b>






No comments:

Post a Comment